Products purchased by the general public that may pose a hazard to human health or the environment are known as hazardous waste. Items can cause harm if they are not disposed of correctly, so it is important that we continue to learn how to get rid of waste or unwanted materials.
Common items may be hazardous because they exhibit one or more of the following properties:
- Toxic: poisonous when ingested, inhaled or touched (rat poison or bleach).
- Flammable: easy to ignite (lighter fluid and paint removers).
- Corrosive: eats away materials and living tissue by chemical action (oven cleaner).
- Reactive: creates an explosion or generates deadly vapors (bleach mixed with ammonia).
Different ways to depose of your hazardous waste in Davis:
- Residents: Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off at the Yolo County Central Landfill for free.
Address: 44090 County Rd 28H, Woodland.
Open daily 6:30am - 4:00pm
- Businesses: Yolo County's Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program at the Yolo County Central Landfill.
- Students at UC Davis: They fund their own household hazardous waste collection program on campus.
To learn more about solid waste and recycling, visit: http://where.davisrecycling.org